Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Choosing Nice Words

I'm officially a slacker. I haven't updated in two weeks and I told you guys it would only be one. My bad. But in my defense, we really didn't have any stellar conversations last week. We talked a lot about camp and school, so yeah.

I don't know what's going on with Sass, but I think maybe school made her angry this morning. First of all, did everyone know that Tuesdays are Meatball sub day at Subway? No, I do not eat the meatball sub every Tuesday, but Sass does. And today she scarfed that sucker down. So. Fast. Usually it's like pulling teeth to get her to eat in a timely fashion. After she finished lunch, Princess showed up.

All Hades broke loose after that. I wish I were kidding. Both the girls were screaming, throwing fits, Sass wouldn't keep her clothes on. It was a madhouse. Have I mentioned that both their moms work from home? Yeah, I went out in the main end of the house to check on how loud we were and both moms had headphones on...Oops?

Regardless, gum usually works to calm Sass down, so I gave her some Orbit Sweet Mint (because that's what was in my purse). Did not work. At all.
So this delightful conversation ensued:

Princess was incessantly laughing the whole time, which really worked against what I was saying.
Sass: "I hate you."
Me: "Let's choose nice words."
Sass: "I'm going to kick your @$$."
(All I could think of was this YouTube video...)
Me: "We do not say things like that. Jesus would not be proud of what you're saying."
Sass: "Fine. I'm gonna kick your face."
Me: "Sass, no one will play with you if you choose bad words like that."
Sass: "Yes they will. You better shut your crack mouth."

This went on for a good thirty minutes during which I attempted to put her in time out, but really how well can you punish an eleven year old Autistic child? Not well.

Me: "Sass, you're hurting my feelings and I will not play with you until you're nice again."
Sass: "Okay Miss Mica. I'm sorry. I won't hurt your feelings anymore. I will choose nice words and keep my clothes on."

This concession happened three minutes before I had to leave. Naturally.

I would also like to throw in that I don't know where she heard that said. Especially the part about the "crack mouth." I'm still not sure if she meant crack like the drug or crack like my mouth was cracked. Either way, it was hard not to laugh.

On days like these, I remember why they're called "special needs" kids.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a very interesting day. I've had a few of those recently too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when they get older... haha.

    ReplyDelete