Search This Blog

Friday, June 25, 2010

Future Kids...Now?

Well. This conversation threw me for a loop. A big, big loop. I was utterly confused, but really, what else in my life with these precious girls doesn't confuse me?

So Princess, Sass, and I were playing when (surprise, surprise!) I did something that neither Sass nor Princess liked. I put Elmo in time-out. I know. I'm that mean babysitter that does mean things like put Elmo in time-out. Let me tell you, this life-size Elmo doll was being tugged in two directions. Sass wanted Elmo in her room, Princess wanted Elmo in the 'puter room. As the shouts of indecision grew louder, I stepped in.

Me: "Okay. That's it. Elmo is going in time-out until you two can decide to share him."
Princes: "But Miss Mica, Elmo didn't do anything."
Sass: "Yeah Mica. Elmo was good."
Me: "However, you two can't decide where to put him, so he had to be put away. Or do you two want to go to time-out instead?"
Sass: "No. Elmo can stay in time-out."
Princess: "You know what Miss Mica? You're mean. Elmo doesn't like you. You're not a good mommy, and your son doesn't like you either."

Hm. There were several things wrong with that last statement, but I decided to control the anger issue instead of correcting her.

Me: "Princess, you need to calm down and understand I'm not punishing Elmo. I'm giving him a break to let you and Sass be able to get along. Get it?"
Princess: "Yes. But your son still doesn't like you."

At this point, I decided to let her know in what way she was wrong.

Me: "Princess, I don't have a son. And if I did, and he was fighting with his best friend over Elmo, I'd put Elmo in time-out for them too."

After she thought for a second, and this is what came out of her mouth...
Princess: "Miss Mica. Your son still doesn't like you."

Ah. So that's the future I have to hope for with my children. Good to know.

P.S. Now I know Bailey reads my blog. This is a shout-out to her. You should read her blog or her other blog. You know, all 2 of you that aren't Bailey and read this...

P.P.S. I'm going to camp with our youth group next week (as a counselor, but let's be real. I'll be the biggest kid there.), so I won't have any new conversations to share. I know. You're all upset.

3 comments:

  1. I loove that. I get the do you have kids question all the time from my charges (who i've been with since january). and today we had a conversation that went something like this:
    (i'm reading a book about dogs to them)
    Boy (6) Will mine be a boy or a girl?
    Me Will what be a boy or a girl?
    Boy (6) my dog
    Me you don't have a dog
    Girl (3) I want a dog!
    Boy (6) I mean when i get a dog, will it be a girl or a boy?
    Me I don't know you're not getting a dog just yet.
    Boy (6) I KNOW I'm not getting a dog YET. I just want to know if it will be a girl or a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mica! Found this through your twitter. Those girls sound adorable. I'm looking forward to hearing more funny conversations/stories about your summer.

    One tiny thing: Could you change the color of the "Figuring out what in the world I've gotten myself into"? It's showing up as black on my computer and it's really hard to see against the blackish box of your blog. Thanks!

    ~Rachel Swindler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany, that's hilarious. It sounds exactly like the conversations I have with these girls. Ha.

    Rach, I keep trying! I just can't figure it out. I promise I will!

    ReplyDelete