Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Throwback

Well. This conversation is a throwback to one that Sass and I had a million and one times last year and didn't have this year...until today.

She's really interested in my family because she's never met them. She asks me a ton of questions about my mom and dad, but she's really intrigued that I have a big brother because she only has a little brother.

Sass: "Miss Mica. What color are your brother's eyes?"
Me: "They're brown, but a little bit lighter brown than yours."
Sass: "What color is his hair?"
Me: "It's brown, but a little bit lighter than yours."

I should probably go ahead and mention that she and Princess are both African-American, therefore much darker than my "peaches and creme" (ahem, ghostly white) complexion.

Sass: Holding her arm up to mine. "What color is his skin?"
Me: "Well, he's tanner than me, but still close to my color."
Sass: "If he's tanner than you, is he my color?"
Me: "Well, no. He's still white, but he's darker than me."
Sass: "No. If his skin is my color and his eyes are my color, he looks like me."

While this is superior reasoning, we still have to have conversations about my brother looking like me, but just a little bit darker.

Things in the conversation got a lot dicier when I tried to explain that I have foreign-exchange sister.

Sass: "But Miss Mica, you don't have a sister."
Me: "Well, not technically, but I love her like my sister. And she lived with my family."
Sass: "But I love Princess, and she's not my sister."
Me: "I know, but my family kind of adopted her."
Sass: "How old is she?"
Me: "Well. Too old to be adopted, but my family loves her."
Sass: "That doesn't make her your sister."

Again, touche on the reasoning skills, but still.

All in all, it was a really great day and the girls were a lot of fun today.

1 comment:

  1. Mica, I enjoy reading your blog. It seems like you have lots of patience with these girls. You take the time to answer their curious questions to the best of your ability. Just wanted you to know I admire that :)

    ReplyDelete